On Tuesday, December 8 Cozen O’Connor’s Health Care practice and industry team hosted the Health Law Year in Review, an annual discussion of hot topics facing those in the health care industry.
Presentation topics included:
- Update from Washington, DC – Havi Glaser discussed the Affordable Care Act five years in and provided updates. She also gave a forecast of what is likely to happen in 2016 and discussed pharmaceutical pricing.
- The Move to Pay for Value Reimbursement – Chris Raphaely discussed changes to how we pay for health care services and pay providers. He also discussed new initiatives, including ACOs, risk arrangements, readmission penalties, care management fees, capitation, bundled payments, quality incentives and patient experience.
- Employment Update – Debra Friedman looked back at hot employment issues from 2015 and forward to issues that may come up in 2016, including wellness programs and wage and hour developments impacting health care providers.
- Are You Protecting Your Intellectual Property? – Kyle Vos Strache looked at the different types of intellectual property and how each can increase a company’s value and mitigate risk.
- Hot Tax Topics – Richard Silpe talked about the 2018 Cadillac Tax, final regulations under IRC Section 501(r) and the tax implications of the case involving Morristown Memorial Hospital determining whether the hospital was non-profit or for-profit.
- Trends in Concierge Medicine and Alternative Payment Methods – Marc Auerbach discussed the three models of concierge medicine, traditional, hybrid and direct primary care medical home, and the benefits of choosing each.
- Antitrust Developments in Health Care – Jonathan Grossman led a discussion on the recently announced mergers of Aetna/Humana and Anthem/Cigna. He also discussed the Supreme Court’s limit of state action immunity in NC Dental and the continuing aggressive federal and state antitrust enforcement.
- Cybersecurity and Health Care – Ryan Blaney and Gregory Fliszar discussed cybersecurity risks and best practices and the steps to take for compliance.
- M&A Update – Anna McDonough and Trey Crabb (Ziegler Investment Banking) talked about recent trends in health care transactions.
For more information about any of the topics listed above, or copies of the presentations, please click the speaker’s name to be directed to their biography. Please click here to be added to our health care alert list to read about new developments and to receive invitations to upcoming seminars and webinars.